Monday, July 28, 2014

SQL Server 2014 : Creating a Sysadmin Using a Windows 8.1 Account













The one of thing that Windows 8 forces you to do is to sign in with an e-mail account.  I am not here to debate if it's a good thing or a bad thing.  But I just wanted to say, Microsoft why do you make our lives so complicated.  I just wanted Windows 7 with a touchscreen.  I digress :(   Anyways, if you install SQL Server on Windows 8 there is a little quirk that you have to deal with.  When you search for an account to add to your dba user login, you have to search on the entire username including the stuff after the @ sign.  Once again, I digress :(

Anyways here is how you add a dba to SQL Server 2014 on a Windows 8 machine.

1.  Connect to your instance of SQL Server, then expand the "Logins" node


2. Right click on "Logins" node, and then select "New Login"


3. Click on the "Search" button


4. Type in the account you want to add in the "Enter the object name to select" text box.  That is my e-mail, feel free to e-mail me.  The only gripe I have with this whole process is that, before we were able to do a partial search.  For example I could have just typed in "tech.junkie.jh" and SQL Server would be smart enough to figure out I am close enough.  Now I have to type in the whole account.  It feels like Microsoft is moving backward.  Anyways click on "Check Names"




5.  On the left hand side you will see a navigation panel, that says "Select a page", you want to select "Server Roles".  Check everything, and the kitchen sink.
  

6. Click "OK" then you have yourself another sysadmin, or what we like to call a db god.  DB God:  I shall grant you INSERT if you bring me donuts and coffee in the morning.....evil laugh sold separately


No comments:

Post a Comment